- 1 cup turkey bacon diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cups yellow onion diced
- 4 Tbsp garlic minced
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 cup celery diced (no leaves)
- 1 cup carrot peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 3 Tbsp cracked black pepper
- 1 Tbsp juniper berries crushed
- 2 cups dried tart cherries
- 2 cups Madeira
- 8 cups smoked turkey medium dice
- 2-1/2 gal turkey stock
- 4 cups wild rice cooked
- In a 4-gallon stockpot, render bacon with olive oil. When bacon is cooked, remove and reserve. Add onions, garlic, yellow and red peppers, celery, carrots, molasses, black pepper, juniper berries, * and cherries. Cook until molasses has formed a thick glaze over all vegetables. Deglaze with Madeira*.
- Stir in diced turkey and reserved bacon. Add turkey stock, and simmer for at least one hour. Thirty minutes before service, add cooked rice. Adjust seasonings, if required.
*Note: You may substitute 1/2 teaspoon of gin, a 1/2-inch sprig of rosemary, or 1-2 crushed bay leaves for the juniper berries, if unavailable. You may also substitute equal amounts of dark sherry, port wine, or red vermouth for Madeira, if unavailable.
Recipe and photo courtesy of The National Turkey Federation.
Share this Recipe