- 1 cup chopped beef
- 1 cup meat broth
- 1-1/2 cups boiled cider or cider vinegar
- 3 cups chopped apples
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup currants
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup molasses
- Select a piece of meat (beef) from neck or round. Should be juicy and lean with a nice bit of fat. Cook in boiling water until tender; let the water boil down until there is about a pint per pound of meat. Let the meat cool in the cider and cut into fine pieces.
- Pare and chop apples, add raisins and currants; measure the cloves sparingly and the salt generously.
- Mix all ingredients together and cook until tender and apples look clear.
- Can in glass jars and seal tightly. Process according to your preferred method of canning.
Recipe courtesy of Ethel Degner, Wonewoc, WI.
Share this Recipe