- 4 cups all purpose flour (approx. 20 oz)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter chilled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes, 8 oz
- 2/3 cup young ramps bulbs chopped fine and leaves cut into thin strips, approx. 12 ramps
- 2 cups buttermilk plus more for brushing
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Set rack in center of oven and preheat to 400 degrees.
- In bowl of a stand mixer, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Turn mixer to LOW speed, then add butter and mix until it is reduced to pea-sized or smaller pieces, approx. 4 minutes. Add ramps and then drizzle in buttermilk. Once buttermilk is mostly absorbed, turn off mixer and carefully fold any stray flour or buttermilk into the dough with a rubber spatula.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat. Scoop dough into 1/2-cup mounds, leaving at least 2 inches between each biscuit on all sides. Brush with buttermilk and sprinkle with pepper.
- Bake for 15 minutes, rotate pan, reduce heat to 350 degrees, and bake for another 15–20 minutes until lightly colored on top and firm to the touch. Allow to cool slightly before eating.
Recipe courtesy of Darlene Seelos, Cornucopia, WI.
Share this Recipe