- 1 (6-1/2 lbs) bone-in pork roast, butt, or shoulder
- 3 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar dark brown sugar is better
- 1 Tbsp canning or Kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1-1/2 tsp ground black pepper freshly ground if available
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Mix brown sugar and the rest of the spices together in a small bowl.
- If roast is fatty, trim to leave a 1/4-inch layer of fat. Pat roast dry with paper towels. Place roast in the center of a large sheet (or two smaller overlapping pieces) of plastic wrap. Coat the roast with mustard and brown sugar spice mix. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and place inside of a plastic bag. Set on a tray in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, but overnight is best.
- Unwrap roast and place in a 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook 10–12 hours on LOW or 5–6 hours on HIGH. Remove the roast from the cooker; strain the juices, reserve. When roast is cool enough to handle, shred with 2 forks; Remove large fat pockets. Add in reserved juices to desired moistness.
Recipe courtesy of Mary Napp, Lancaster, WI.
Share this Recipe