- 2 large onions sliced
- 3 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 large red bell pepper sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper sliced
- 2 (approx. 7 inches each) large zucchinis sliced
- 8 oz penne pasta
- 8 oz basil pesto sauce
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheeses
- In a large skillet, caramelize the onions by cooking on medium low heat in 2 tablespoons of olive oil for 15–20 minutes or until golden. Add red and green bell peppers, zucchini, and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to the onions. Continue to sauté 8–10 minutes, until the peppers and zucchini are tender.
- Meanwhile, cook 8 ounces penne pasta in boiling water for 10 minutes or until tender; drain. Return hot pasta to pan; add vegetables and basil pesto sauce. Gently toss ingredients together to coat. Heat through for 5–10 minutes. Lightly mix in 1 cup shredded Italian cheeses and serve.
Recipe and photo courtesy of The National Onion Association.
Share this Recipe