- 4 lbs apples
- 2 lbs lean beef or veal chopped
- 2-1/2 lbs raisins
- 4 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1-1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp mace
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 pound suet ground
- 1-1/2 lbs currants
- 1/4 lb citron ground and preserved, or candied, (Asian fruit similar to lemon.)
- 1-1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup molasses
- Grape juice, cider, water, or brandy, or any other type of fruit juice
- Pare, core, and chop apples.
- Combine with remaining ingredients.
- Add juice, cider, water, or brandy to moisten.
- Simmer until meats and fruits are tender and flavors are blended.
- Pack in freshly sterilized jars and seal.
- Process canning according to your preferred method.
Recipe courtesy of E. Kerrigan, Gilman, WI.
Share this Recipe