- 6 cups sugar
- 4 cups white vinegar I only use Heinz because it is all vegetable and no petroleum products
- 1/2 cup salt Do not use iodized salt
- 1 1/3 teaspoons Mustard Seed
- 1 1/3 teaspoons tumeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
- 6 to 8 onions sliced more the better
- 12 medium cucumbers, un-peeled and sliced
- 1 good pinch in each jar powdered alum Place the alum in jar before adding pickles
- Heat the vinegar with the sugar until the sugar melts.
- Add sliced cucumbers and onions.
- Add other ingredients (except alum) with onion and sugar mixture. stir well.
- Stir once a day for three days. Then place in jars that one good pinch of alum has been added to.
- Seal and refrigerate. If you have enough room in your fridge you can put the pickles in any air tight container.
Share this Recipe