“This used to be a boxed product with par-boiled, dried beans, that came…like a…macaroni-and-cheese box with a recipe on the back…that was truly delicious. I don’t know when that product ceased to be produced, but my grandmother had the recipe she’d copied from the back of a box, and here it is (from one 9-1/2 oz box):"
- 1 pkg precooked beans approx. 2 cups (i.e. Navy or Great Northern beans)
- 1/4 lb salt pork or bacon sliced
- 3-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp molasses approx. 1/4 cup
- 1/4 cup catsup
- 2 Tbsp chopped onion
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place beans in baking dish or bean pot.
- Brown salt pork or bacon thoroughly; add boiling water. Combine remaining ingredients and add to water and pork mixture. Pour over beans.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover, stir well, and bake 15 minutes longer.
Note: In Grandma’s notes, she used 1 pound of dried navy beans, soaked overnight with enough water to cover them by a couple of inches. She put the soaked beans, cooked meat, and remaining ingredients in a slow cooker and cooked on LOW until done—she mentions that for 1 pound of dried navy beans, she did double the other ingredients.
Recipe courtesy of Chris Odeen.
Share this Recipe