- 1 cabbage shredded (approx. 1 gallon)
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- 1 tsp Mustard Seed
- 1 bunch celery diced (optional)
- 1 red pepper diced (optional)
- 1 green pepper diced (optional)
- Mix cabbage and salt and let stand for 2 hours. Do not drain.
- Combine sugar, vinegar, and water in medium saucepan; bring to a boil and let cool. Combine remaining ingredients (including optional vegetables if desired) and add to vinegar mixture. Freeze in serving-size containers. Makes approx. 18 cups.
Note: This is a very crisp pickled dish. Leftovers may be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. Variations: Add 1 chopped onion or substitute 3–4 grated carrots for the celery.
Recipe courtesy of Judith Ebersold, Menomonee.
Share this Recipe