- Combine all ingredients in a large 1-gallon bowl and mix by hand until combined, approx. 2 minutes. Cover tightly with plastic wrap or a lid and allow to sit at room temperature overnight, approx. 8 hours.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured countertop. Form gently into a ball. Place the loaf in greased 1-gallon 9-inch covered cast iron Dutch oven and let rise 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- Remove lid. Sprinkle lightly with flour and score the top of the loaf with a sharp knife.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. When oven is hot, place pan with lid in the oven.
- After 15 minutes remove the lid. Reduce heat to 350 degrees for 30–35 minutes, until the loaf’s internal temperature is over 180 degrees.
- Cool on cooling rack.
Recipe and photo courtesy of The Home Baking Association and Panhandle Milling.
Share this Recipe