- 6 large egg yolks and whites separated
- 15 oz can pumpkin
- 1-1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1-1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup butter cracker crumbs such as Ritz®
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 8 oz pkg cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce divided
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat egg yolks, pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla in small bowl.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar in mixer bowl with whisk attachment on high speed until foamy.
- Beat in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, until whites are glossy and stand in soft peaks.
- Fold in egg yolk mixture, cracker crumbs, dates, and pecans.
- Spread in two greased 8-inch round cake pans.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven until knife inserted near center comes out clean (approx. 25–30 minutes).
- Cool on wire rack.
- Loosen cakes from sides of pans with thin knife.
- Gently shake cakes out of pans onto racks.
- Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, and 2 tablespoons caramel sauce in small bowl until smooth.
- Place one layer on serving plate.
- Spread with half the cream cheese filling.
- Top with second layer.
- Spread with remaining cream cheese filling.
- Refrigerate until serving.
- Just before serving, drizzle remaining caramel sauce over top of cake.
Recipe and photo courtesy of the American Egg Board (www.aeb.org).
Share this Recipe