Recipe and photo courtesy of the Wisconsin Beef Council.
- 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 lbs beef brisket
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large sweet onions cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 pkg (1-1/4 oz) dry onion soup mix
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 8–10 French rolls split, toasted
- Cut brisket into 3–4 pieces.
- Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot.
- Place brisket in stockpot; brown pieces evenly.
- Remove brisket from stockpot; set aside.
- Add onions to stockpot; cook on low heat for 18–22 minutes, until lightly caramelized, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth, soy sauce, soup mix, and garlic.
- Return brisket to stockpot; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2-1/2 to 3 hours, or until brisket is fork-tender.
- Remove brisket and keep warm.
- Skim fat from cooking liquid. Carve brisket against the grain into very thin slices.
- Divide brisket evenly among rolls. Close sandwiches.
- Serve sandwiches with cooking liquid on the side for dipping.
Share this Recipe